Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 3: The Joy of childhood books


I remember sitting on my bed and listening to my grandmother read for hours! My sister and I would interrupt her and ask all sorts of questions. She would re-read the chapter and the name, until she would get interrupted again and it would start all over. I remember one night Lori and I thought it would be funny to keep interrupting her until she became frustrated (kids get a sick pleasure out of frustrating adults!) And she read the words "Chapter 7" loudly on the 10th or 11th time of trying and started yelling in Italian and walked out of the room. We giggled uncontrollably and to this day saying the words, "Chapter 7" makes my sister and I smirk.


So last night on night 3 of our test I was sure I would feel the frustration and Grandma would pay me back 10 fold...well, she must be saving it for another time because the reading went better than can ever be expected. I carefully selected Charlotte's Web, hoping it would catch their interest, Lord knows it was one of my all time favorites. I got through Chapter 1 with no interruptions and no asking why it didn't have pictures. I got through Chapters 2 and 3 as well. I paused, and looked at the kids and then the clock, and realized it was 15 minutes past bedtime. So I told them we would pick up on Chapter 4 tomorrow. They were so disappointed. It made me so happy that they were enjoying the story! I read a few more pages before we all began to yawn. Anthony looked at me and said, "Mommy, I love your reading. You make me see the stories in my head." I almost cried, it was so cute and sweet of him. Brooklynn begged me to keep reading. But I sent them to bed with the anticipation of reading tonight! It went so well! I'm really loving this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment