Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

The great misadventures of Chicken and Dumplings


Oh my goodness, who would have thought that my nemesis would be chicken and dumplings? Well it was! Well not really the dumplings, it was the chicken. But let me start from the beginning.


Brooklynn and James just LOVE chicken and dumplings. They are always talking about it. My sister and friend told me that it was not hard to make. So I pulled out my "Simply Delicious" Weight Watchers cookbook and looked up a recipe.

3 1/2 lb chicken (pulled apart) {There lies my problem}

2 small carrots

2 small celery

1 onion

3/4 cups baking mix

1/3 c. fat free milk

3 c. low sodium chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

1 tbsp parsley



The first thing the recipe told me was to pull apart the raw chicken...wh...wh...what? Pull apart and take off the skin of a raw, whole chicken? How was I supposed to do this? It must have looked very comical, because James was peeking through the window of the kitchen grinning at me as I tore this little *%#&^%& apart. After about 25 minutes I said, that is enough chicken.


I browned chicken, then added the chopped veggies and browned them as well (about 6 minutes each) then I added the broth and let it simmer for 35 minutes. I mixed the milk and baking mix and parsley together to make the dumplings. After the 35 minutes I dropped the dumplings in and let it simmer with a cover 20 minutes, then without a cover for 15 more minutes. The end result was super yummy, but next time...I get chicken breasts. AJ opted out because of the carrots, but it fed 4 adults, 2 children (with B and James having two helpings). No leftovers, that's my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment